Flags

free counters

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Toasted Almond biscuits

Here an adapted recipe of Martha Stewart-Wholemeal-Almond Biscuits
But I saw the pictures first on J'en reprendrai bien un bout...
I had some organic whole meal pastry flour  and ground almond.
If a recipe calls for brown sugar and almond, I am all in.


* 1 cup ground blanched almonds that I toasted 
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
* 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
* 1 tsp of vanilla extract, one pinch of salt
  1.  Mix flours and brown sugar. Add butter mix with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. 
  2. To shape dough into a ball and vanilla extract and one tablespoon of cold water if needed then wrap in plastic.
  3. Refrigerate until cold and slightly firm, no longer than 30 minutes.( I forgot about it for 1h30)
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to cut out circles (According to Martha more than 1/4 inch thick)
  5. Space them  apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes in my oven. Let cool on baking sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cooking Nomads Verdict:
They taste really nutty almost like honey roasted almonds, but a little too sweet for me. I did put too much brown sugar but a perfect reason to have a  lemon green tea without sugar!!! They are cute, and a nice way to use wholemeal flour.
Next time :1 cup of wholemeal flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and toast my almond a little longer, for a darker brown finish. I will use this recipe to experiment with others flavors and flours, and less sugar. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enjoy and share

Share |